During her third apparition, on July 13, 1917, the Blessed Virgin announced that she would come to ask for “…the Communion of reparation on the first Saturdays.”
Thus, on December 10, 1925, the Blessed Virgin, with the Child Jesus at her side, appeared to Lucy in her cell at the Dorothean house of Pontevedra ( Spain ) saying:
“My daughter, look at my Heart surrounded with the thorns with which ungrateful men pierce me constantly through blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console me, and tell people that I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation all those who, on the first Saturdays of five consecutive months:
The devotion involves the following practices on five consecutive first Saturdays with the specific intention of making reparation for the offenses (above) against the Blessed Virgin.
1. Go to Confession (within 8 days before or after the first Saturday)
2. Receive Holy Communion
3. Recite five decades of the Rosary*
4. “Keep me company for fifteen minutes while meditating on fifteen mysteries of the Rosary” (separate from the Rosary itself)*
(*Preferably done in the presence of the Lord in the Tabernacle or at Exposition)
Why Five Saturdays?
To establish devotion (in accordance with God’s wishes) to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and to make reparation for…
1. Attacks upon the reality of Mary’s Immaculate Conception
2. Attacks against her the reality of Mary’s Perpetual Virginity
3. Attacks upon Mary’s Divine Maternity and the refusal to accept her as the Mother of all mankind
4. Those who try to publicly implant in children’s hearts indifference, contempt and hatred for Immaculate Mary
5. For those who insult Mary directly in her sacred images.
On February 15, 1926, the Child Jesus again appeared to Lucy and she presented him with the problem that going to confession on Saturdays was a difficulty for some people and requested that a confession within a period of eight days before and eight days after the first Saturday be valid. Jesus answered, “Yes, it can even be within many more days, provided they are in the state of grace when they receive Me and have the intention of offering reparation to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.”
Sister Lucy further raised the possibility that some people might forget to make that intention when they confessed. Our lord answered, “they can make it in the following confession, using the first opportunity they have to confess.”
During the vigil that Sister Lucy kept on the eve of May 30, 1930, our Lord spoke in her interior and solved yet another difficulty. “the practice of this devotion will be equally acceptable on the Sunday following the first Saturday, whenever my priests, for just reasons, so grant it to souls.”